Summer is on the way… To keep fit and maintain a good figure, more and more people are wearing trainers during their lunch breaks.Off to the gym! During a very busy day, it is even more important to be mindful of one’s diet. Here is some advice.
Rule no. 1 “Fitness & nutrition”: Organising one’s meals during the day
What is the best way to organise things for efficient training? First you must structure your day.
- A healthy, balanced breakfast: When we wake up we haven’t had a full meal since the previous evening. Therefore energy reserves are at their lowest. This meal is the most important one of the day because of this.
- A snack at 11am: During training, the body will use its resources, and if they are not sufficiently high, we feel muscle fatigue, cramps and even hypoglycaemia.
- Light lunch after training: Intense physical activity often reduces appetite. However, the meal following exercise should cover 30% of daily calorie intake. It should not be overlooked.
- A snack at 4 pm: If necessary
- Dinner: normally balanced meal.
Rule no. 2 “Fitness & nutrition”: Choosing what to eat before a sports session
Eating a snack is essential before a sports session. It meets the energy requirements of the latter perfectly and prevents you from feeling hungry until your next meal. In addition it will make all the difference during training.
Plan your snack 30 minutes before training.
Examples of snacks
- Cereals with or without milk
- Cereal bars
- Bread and cottage cheese
Be careful, even though you may be trying to control your weight, this does not mean you should go without. This snack is still important. However we recommend high-protein products such as protein bars.
These are often low in calories and high in protein. They will make you feel full and help you wait until your next meal without feeling hungry. What’s more, they prevent loss of muscle mass as part of your diet.
Rule no. 3 “Fitness & nutrition”: Preparing a light meal
After training, you have limited time. Often you have to eat quickly, which shouldn’t prevent you from eating a balanced meal.
Here are a few examples which should help you eat quickly and avoid feeling bloated.
At home :
- quiche and salad
Standard menu to take with you :
- mixed salad (rice, beetroot, tomatoes…)
- grilled chicken breast
- vegetables / rice
- fruit salad
Rule no. 4 “Fitness & nutrition”: Don’t forget your fluids
Don’t wait to be thirsty to drink. Drinking before and after training is necessary to compensate for what you have used.
Now, all you need to do is get going!